Hearty Beef Chili

Colorful leaves, apple picking, football, Halloween, and.....CHILI! The great elements of a Wisconsin fall. I will not start making chili until the first frost and stop around the beginning of April. When i looked outside and saw the frost I immediately thought of my favorite bowl of chili. I am sure everyone has their own favorite seasonal elements, but I wanted to share mine.
Ingredients

2 lb lean beef (I used 95/5)
1 medium onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 medium hot pepper, finely diced (whatever heat you choose- we had fresh jalapenos from Ron's aunt Patti and uncle Joe's garden)
2 30 oz cans tomato sauce
2 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes
2 14.5 oz cans chili beans, medium heat
3 Tbl chili powder
1 1/2 Tbl salt (you may want to do this to your taste)
1 Tbl black pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 1/2 tsp garlic salt (optional)
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes

Instructions

Brown and drain meat. Mix beef, onion, peppers, and all seasonings into your chili pot. Cook at low heat till veggies are semi-soft and mixed well. Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and beans. Stir well. I will usually let it look for awhile and then taste to see if I need to add any additional spice to the pot. Serve over noodles (Ron does, I don't), and top with cheese, onion, and sour cream.

Labels: ,