Rack of Lamb with Caramelized Shallot and Thyme Crust

Lamb is a meat I have had to work to warm up to over the years. I am not sure why because when I eat it I really like it, but I usually can only do a few bones. I think it might have roots when my family took a trip to England when I was 12. We stayed in a beautiful old place called Wortham Manor. It had old log books filled with everything from ghostly encounters to bottles of brandy. Well, next to the Manor there was a field full of sheep. A few of them had orange dye on their fleece (we were told it was to mark the orphan sheep so the woman could feed them looking back I am not sure it was the truth), and we named one "Little Rodman"... Well, those cute friendly sheep stuck in my head, and 13 years later I have learned to love lamb. I originally found this recipe at the Foodnetwork, but I couldn't find it to post. So, here is the same recipe- not sure why I had trouble finding it at my original source. It is delicious! I added a little extra mustard because I love mustard. Enjoy! Ingredients

Rack of lamb (7 or 8 ribs) at room temperature, Frenched
1/2 cup shallots, chopped
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
3 Tbl balsamic vinegar (I used a 16 year- the sweetness is great!)
1 Tbl Dijon mustard
1 1/2 Tbl olive oil
salt, to taste
black pepper, to taste

Instructions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a small skillet heat oil over moderate heat until hot but not smoking and cook shallots with salt and pepper to taste, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add vinegar and boil until liquid is evaporated. Remove skillet from heat and stir in bread crumbs, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste. Season lamb with salt and pepper and arrange, ribs side down, in a small roasting pan. Spread meat side with mustard and pat on crumb mixture evenly. Roast lamb in middle of oven until a meat thermometer registers 135°F. for medium-rare, 25 to 30 minutes. Carefully transfer lamb to a cutting board and let stand 5 to 10 minutes. Slice lamb into chops.

YUM!

Labels: