Crazy Mixed Up Beans and Rice (And Chicken Sausage too!)

As you may have noticed I like rice a lot, and beans, AND chicken sausage. I could literally live off rice and beans, and be completely happy. When I was in Puerto Rico last year I would eat rice and beans almost twice a day. I would save any dinner leftovers, and eat it for breakfast with a poached egg on top. Yum. I miss Puerto Rico. Anyways, this dish came together one night when I was at a loss of what to make for dinner. It turned out delicious. And yes, I did eat some of the leftovers for breakfast with a poached egg on top. Enjoy!

Ingredients
1 package of chicken sausage, sliced into bite size pieces (I used garlic & herb, but you can use any kind you like)
1 onion, diced
1 small tomato, diced
1 small jalapeno, diced
1 can black beans
1 can great northern beans
2/3 cup chicken broth
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp thyme
4 cups cooked brown rice

Instructions
In a large skillet combine sausage, onion, jalapeno, and tomato. Cook on medium heat until vegetables are soft. Add all spices. Allow sausage and veggies to saute for about 5 minutes. Add chicken broth and beans. Reduce heat to medium-low and allow mixture to thicken for about 15 minutes stirring frequently. When the sauce has thickened, add the rice and mix well.

Labels: , , ,