Grown-Up Mac and Cheese with Hot Dogs

I have many memories of eating mac and cheese with hot dogs as a child. It was probably one of the go to dishes for my sister and I (or how about the spaghetti oh's with franks? Remember those!?). I decided that I needed to spruce it up a bit for as an adult. My boyfriend is sensitive to wheat, so for the recipes dealing with pasta or flour I use a sub. In this dish, I use a gluten free flour, gluten free bread crumbs, and corn pasta. I can't say enough about corn pasta. It really holds up, and it has a great flavor (maybe a little sweet?). Yummy. Obviously, you can use regular pasta and flour- or you can try it gluten free! I decided to use a chicken sausage (apple and chardonnay) in place of the traditional hot dog. I think that this turned out great, and it made wonderful leftovers. Enjoy!

Ingredients
2 1/2 cup uncooked pasta (I used elbow noodles)
1/2 Tbl butter
2 Tbl flour
2 cups milk
2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
4 oz velveeta (I used 2%), diced
3 chicken sausage links (about 9 ounces), sliced and quartered
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup bread crumbs, tossed with 1 Tbl of butter

Instructions
Pre-heat over to 350 degrees. Cook pasta according to instructions, drain and set aside. Add sliced sausage to a small skillet and allow it to heat through. Melt butter in a large skillet. Add flour and allow it to thicken. Stir in milk. The roux will thicken at this point and begin to add the cheese. Add velveeta first, and stir to while it melts. Next add the cheddar cheese. Once the cheese has melted, add sausage and noodles. Season with salt and pepper. Stir well. Place pasta into a circular baking dish (like a pyrex), top with bread crumbs, cover, and bake for 20 minutes

Labels: , ,