Cabernet Cranberry Sauce

Happy Day after Thanksgiving! We had a fantastic holiday filled with family, friends, love, football, wine, food, and a sewer that backed up into our basement 10 minutes before we needed to leave the house. Thankfully, we were able to get someone over the snake the drain and save the day! My husband was so great and stayed behind for a bit and I am sure it was not how he thought his holiday would go. Everything is fixed and we can be happy it wasn't worse!

I thought I would share a few dishes I made for the feast. I stumbled upon this recipe trying to find a new cranberry recipe for dinner. Usually the cranberries are ignored, but I was determined to find something unique that would become a happy addition to our dinner table. This recipe is fabulous. I love the Cabernet flavor (my sister and I call this booze berries) with the orange and the addition of spicy white pepper. I think my goal of a awesome cranberry dish was successful because everyone raved about the flavor!

A must try for your holiday table.


Cabernet Cranberry Sauce
adapted from The Kitchen is My Playground
1 (12 oz.) package fresh cranberries
1 1/4 c. granulated sugar
1 c. Cabernet Sauvignon*
1 3-inch cinnamon stick
2 tsp. orange zest
1/4 tsp white pepper

Bring sugar and wine to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.  Add remaining ingredients, and return to a boil, stirring constantly.  Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, for 15 minutes, or until cranberry skins have popped.  Remove and discard cinnamon stick.  Cool slightly.  Serve warm or chill at least 2 hours.  Sauce will thicken as it cools.

Sauce may be stored in the refrigerator for up to a month.

*Note - Use good quality wine.  It makes a difference in this recipe! 

Labels: , , ,