Italian Sausage Lasagna with Pumpkin, Blue Cheese and Sage

I love cooking new combinations of food for my family to try. I had some leftover blue cheese from my sweet potato coins and decided I needed to make something savory, yummy, and gooey. I also had a can of pumpkin puree... I could hardly wait to try this as I was putting this recipe together and trust me it did not disappoint!  Ron is not a big pumpkin fan so I wanted to make sure I had a few other savory flavors that would compliment the rich pumpkin. The result- awesomeness!

We are getting ready to do the big clean this weekend and finally get moved into our new home. I can't wait to get out of our cramped apartment!

Ingredients
10 oz lasagna noodles (we use gluten free)
2 shallots
2 lb mild Italian sausage
8 oz sliced mushrooms
1 cup ricotta
1 egg
1/3 cup sour cream
1 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
14.5 oz petite diced tomatoes, drained
2 1/2 Tbl chopped fresh sage
3/4 cup chicken stock
3 Tbl flour (we use gluten free)
2/3 cup blue cheese, divided
2 cup shredded mozzarella
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper

Instructions
Preheat over to 350 degrees.

In a large rimmed skillet, cook sausage, sage, and shallots. When sausage is browned add tomatoes and chicken stock. Allow mixture to come to a simmer for 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle flour over sausage and stir. Allow sausage to simmer on low for 5 minutes.  Turn off heat once sauce has thickened.

While sausage is simmering cook lasagna noodles according to package instructions. While noodles are cooking mix ricotta, egg, sour cream, pumpkin, 1/3 cup blue cheese, nutmeg, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Set aside.

In a 9X13 baking dish add a few scoops of sauce to the bottom of the dish using a spoon to coat. Lay down 1/3 of noodles, spread 1/3 pumpkin mixture,  add 1/3 of the mushrooms, layer 1/3 of the meat sauce, and top with 1/3 mozzarella cheese. Repeat twice more. Sprinkle remaining blue cheese on the final layer.

Bake, covered, for 60 minutes. Allow the lasagna to rest, covered, for 10 minutes before serving.

Labels: , , , ,