Gluten Free Sour Cream Lemon Pie

Another Improv Cooking Challenge has come! The theme for this month is lemons and sour cream. My first thought was a creamy chicken dish, but that was quickly scrapped when I saw this recipe from Taming of the {Celiac} Sprue for Gluten Free Sour Cream Lemon Pie. As you know, my husband is sensitive to gluten and while not all gluten is cut out I try to reduce if not eliminate it from our meals. However, this can be tricky when it come to desserts because I am not yet completely comfortable with gluten free baking. This recipe fit the theme perfectly, and allowed me to make a sweet treat for my sweetie. The recipe is really easy and simple to follow. I used a pre-made gluten free crust, but there are lots of mixes and recipes if you want to make one on your own. The lemon cream reminded me of my favorite lemon curd recipe saved for hot summer nights after a grilled meal. I added a little more lemon zest because I like strong and tart flavor to lemon desserts. Check out my fellow bloggers work their creative brains with lemons and sour cream in the blog hop below. Check out the next Improv Cooking Challenge: Carrots and Ginger!

                                                                       
                                                 Ingredients
1 gluten free pie crust, baked according to instructions and cooled (check out Taming of the {Celiac} Sprue for more great gluten free pie crust ideas)
1 cup sugar
3 1/2 T. cornstarch
1 1/2  Tbl lemon rind, finely grated
1/2  cup lemon juice
3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
1 cup milk
1/4 cup butter
1 cup sour cream
1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped and sweetened with powdered sugar

Instructions
Combine sugar, cornstarch, lemon rind, juice, egg yolks and milk in a heavy saucepan, cook over medium heat until thick.  Stir in butter and cool mixture to room temperature.  Stir in sour cream and pour filling into pie shell.  Cover with whipped cream.  Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, better if overnight

Labels: , , ,