Crockpot Orange Chicken

Another fun dinner found on Pinterest from The Pursuit of Happiness. This recipe caught my eye because I really Chinese take-out, but we rarely have it because it makes me feel like I need to go into a couch coma for a few hours! I saw this recipe and thought it looked perfect for us (plus a little added greens). A little lighter, and a no fuss crockpot meal (Ron put this meal together while I was at work- sweet man).  The recipe had great reviews, but I was a little disappointed. I thought the orange flavor was a little sour, but really enjoyed the texture of the chicken. I am not sure what to make of it, but wanted to post it to see if there were any suggestions from anyone that has tried the recipe. I was thinking a regular or fresh juice over concentrate? Ron also suggested adding a little heat which I think would be a good idea. What fun would a crockpot recipe be without a few tweeks! Hope everyone is having a great week! They are predicting 10 inches of snow today and into the night- Yikes! Makes me miss Key West even more!
Ingredients
3-4 boneless chicken breasts, chopped into small chunks
1/3 cup flour
olive oil
1/2 T salt
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
3 T ketchup
6 oz. frozen orange juice concentrate (thaw or throw it in the microwave for 45 seconds)
4 T brown sugar
4 oz snow peas

Instructions
In a bowl, mix the orange juice, brown sugar, vinegar, salt, and ketchup. Pour the flour in a small bowl.
Cover the chicken breast chunks in flour and shake off the excess. Pour a small amount of olive oil in a skillet and brown the flour-covered chicken. The chicken doesn't need to be fully cooked since it's going in the crock pot. After the chicken is done cooking, pour the pieces into the crock pot. Then cover the chicken with your sauce mixture and give the pot a stir. Cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 2-3. If desired, add snow peas during the last 30 minutes of cooking. Serve over Rice.

Labels: , , ,