Channa Masala

I saw this recipe for Channa Masala on Pinterest from Simran and Stacie of A Little Yumminess, and I knew that I needed to add it to our meal plan. I love this dish and often order it when we go out to an Indian restaurant.  I opted to cut the recipe in half and serve it with our grilled tandoori chicken. I also made the dish a little thicker than the traditional "stew".  I loved the flavors of this dish! Sweet, spicy, rich, and complex really sum up the flavors. Every time I eat this I find myself saying, "who knew chickpeas could be so flavorful!".   Today Ron is in Appleton playing cribbage, and I am heading down in a bit for dinner after the games are done. Hope everyone is having an awesome weekend!

Ingredients

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onions, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 inch piece fresh ginger, grated
1 jalapeno pepper, minced (optional)
1/2 tbsp ground coriander
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp garam masala
1 (15 oz) can of whole tomatoes with their juices
1/2 cup water
1 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 cups roughly chopped baby spinach (optional)
salt to taste


Instructions

Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onion, garlic, ginger and chili pepper and sauté over medium heat until browned, about 5-6 minutes.

Add the coriander, cumin, cayenne, turmeric,and garam masala. Cook onion mixture with spices for a minute or two, then add the tomatoes and juices.  Season to taste.
Cook for another 5-10 minutes. 

Add the water and chickpeas. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.  Add more seasoning if necessary.
Simmer for another 20-25 minutes, covered on low heat.  During the last 5 minutes of simmering add the baby spinach.

Labels: , ,