Chicken Enchilada Pasta

Happy Sunday everyone! Today we are celebrating Easter with my family (my parents will be on vacation for real Easter).  My dad is making my favorite steaks IN THE WORLD! I will try and document his recipe so I can post it. The most exciting this about Sunday is that it is almost Monday and I get to see the Hunger Games with my friend Emily. Yay!

Anyways, this recipe has been on my radar for awhile, but I hadn't gotten a chance to make it. I used a recipe from Pearls, Handcuff, and Happy Hour, but I know there are a bunch of different variations floating around blogland.  This recipe is really easy, and so good! Ron and I loved the flavors of the pasta, and had it for two dinners in a row. The toppings are a must (I have to confess I forgot to put the avocado on before I took at picture), and I listed our favorites below. If you want a mild dish use mild sauces, but for a little more heat use the hot sauce or add a little jalapeno (I think that would be a great topping too!).  I also think this would be a really great baked pasta dish..hmm....maybe for Cinco De Mayo....


Ingredients
2 chicken breasts, cooked & shredded (you can add more chicken if you like a meaty pasta)
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 4 oz. can diced green chiles
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
2 10 oz. cans green chili enchilada sauce (I used medium heat)
1 10 oz can red enchilada sauce (I used mild heat)
2 cups shredded reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup light sour cream
1 lb Penne pasta

Toppings:
Avocado
Green Onion
Sour Cream
Cheese
Black Olives

Instructions
In a large rimmed skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and peppers and cook for about 5 minutes. Add garlic and stir. Add chicken, spices, chilies, and enchilada sauces. Simmer for 15 minutes.  While the sauce is simmering, cook the pasta, drain and set aside.

Lower the heat for the sauce and stir in the cheese. Allow mixture to stop bubbling and stir in the sour cream. Be careful not to boil the sauce because the sour cream will break and curdle.

Return drained pasta to the original pot and pour sauce over pasta. Toss pasta with sauce so it is evenly coated. Plate and top with desired toppings.

Labels: , , ,