Recipe Swap: Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes

It is time for our bi-weekly recipe swap! The theme for this month was blogger's choice. We have this theme pretty often, and it is my favorite (especially now since my taste buds are so different).  I received the blog Cooking for Fun. There were lots of great recipes to choose from, but I was looking for a meat free side and something with no soy sauce or ginger. I came across a recipe for Creamy Potatoes Au Gratin and knew it was perfect.  The recipe is really easy to put together, and super yummy! I cut back on the amount of onion, and used a sharp cheddar cheese when I prepared the dish. My husband and I both loved the potatoes! The dish is very rich, but it is delicious. It also takes about an hour and a half to cook so make sure to you allow enough cooking time before dinner! Thank you for a great recipe, and the recipe for Glazed Apple Cream Pie looks wonderful! As always, a big thank you to Sarah for putting this together!


Ingredients
4 russet potatoes, sliced into 1/4 inch slices
1/2 onion, sliced into rings
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Instructions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Layer 1/2 of the potatoes into bottom of a greased 8x8 casserole dish. Top with the onion slices, and add the remaining potatoes. In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Mix in the flour, and stir constantly with a whisk for one minute. Slowly stir in milk. Cook until mixture has thickened. Stir in cheddar cheese, and continue stirring until melted. Season cheese sauce with salt and black pepper.  Pour cheese over the potatoes, and cover the dish with aluminum foil, and bake  for1 1/2 hours.

Labels: , , , ,