Recipe Swap: Grilled Shrimp Po' Boys

It is time for another recipe swap! The theme for this month is sandwiches/burgers. I submitted my Cuban Burger and received Shrimp and Oyster Po'Boys from Katie at So Tasty, So Yummy. I have followed Katie's blog for a little while now because I love all the different recipes! She has great variety and a lot of her recipes are dishes that I really would love to try. I love shrimp and oysters, and I was excited to get this recipe! However, I hit a stumble when my store did not have fresh oysters. I have never used canned oysters, and was unsure if I wanted to use them (anyone use canned? How is the taste?). Initialy, I was going to fry the shrimp as the original recipe calls for, but I ultimately decided to grill because 1) it was beautiful outside and 2) my stomach was feeling a bit heavy when I was in the dinner making process for fried food. Ron and I were both very pleased with the finished product. I loved the remoulade (I omitted the mustard because Ron is allergic) because it had a nice kick and saltiness to complement the shrimp. Thank you for a great recipe! However, next time I find oysters I will have to try it again because I am sure they are wonderful in this sandwich! Thank you to Sarah for putting together the swaps! If you are interested in participating (it's really fun and easy!) check out her blog A Taste of Home Cooking.


Ingredients

For remoulade:1/3 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon chopped dill pickles or relish
2 teaspoons capers, chopped
Hot sauce

For shrimp:
1  1/2 lb medium shrimp (peeled and cleaned)
salt & pepper
olive oil

French Bread for 4 (we use gluten free)
Tomato, sliced
Lettuce, chopped


Instructions

In a small bowl, stir together mayonnaise, ketchup, pickles, capers and hot sauce to taste. Set the remoulade aside.

Prepare shrimp for grill. I use a slotted grill pan, but you can use skewers if that it what you have available. Heat grill to medium low. Brush shrimp with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place shrimp on grill pan and grill 2-3 minutes per side or until pink and firm. Remove from grill and transfer to a plate.


Slice the bread lengthwise and then cut into four equal pieces. Brush the inside of the bread with the melted butter and broil for a minute to toast. Assemble the shrimp, oysters, tomatoes, lettuce and remoulade on the bread. Serve.

Labels: , , ,