Spaghetti and Meatballs

One thing about this pregnancy that is certain is my love of pasta (potatoes too!). I have heard from other women who have kids or are pregnant that they loved the carbs as too.  I haven't been wanting creamy sauces lately, but will eat pretty much anything with a tomato sauce. The only bad thing is the killer heartburn...I swear I get heartburn from ketchup...  I usually make my spaghetti with a meat sauce, but Ron has been requesting meatballs.  The reason I don't usually make meatball is because it takes a little extra time, but I decided it was time to put them on the meal plan.

I usually like my meatballs on the small side, but you could make them any size you like just be sure to adjust your cooking time. I used beef for my meatballs because it was what we had, but you could use a mixture if that is what tickles your fancy.

I forgot how much I like spaghetti and meatballs! Delicious! I guess I will have to give in to Ron's requests more often since his last two (pot roast and this meal) have been so successful! Or maybe he can whip up the next batch...I love a man that can cook.

Ingredients

for meatballs:
1 1/4 lb ground beef
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1 egg
2 Tbl grated Parmesan
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbl Italian seasoning
1 pinch of sugar

for sauce:
1 onion, chopped
3 gloves garlic, minced
30 oz tomato sauce
3 Tbl Italian seasoning
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp sugar

3 Tbl olive oil
1 lb spaghetti
Grated Parmesan, for topping


Instructions

By hand, mix all meatball ingredients in a medium bowl. Do not over work the meat, but gently insure all ingredients are evenly incorporated.  Form into meatballs (whatever size you desire), and set aside.

In a dutch oven or large skillet (large enough so the pasta can be added), add 2 Tbl olive oil and onion. Saute onion until tender, and add garlic continuing to cook for an additional minute (be careful not to burn the garlic).  Add tomato sauce and seasoning, and simmer on medium-low.

While the sauce is cooking, add 1 Tbl olive oil to a fry pan. Heat to medium heat and gently add the meatballs. Cook on all sides turning with a tongs until they are cooked completely. Add the meatballs to the tomato sauce. Allow the sauce to cook for an additional 20 minutes on low heat. 

While sauce is cooking, cook your pasta according to package directions. When pasta has completed cooking, drain, and toss into tomato sauce till coated.

Plate spaghetti and meatballs. Top with grated Parmesan and enjoy!

Labels: , , ,