Pioneer Woman's Scalloped Potatoes and Ham

I just have to say how great it is to have a partner that loves to cook. I came home from work this week and Ron was making dinner and told me not to worry about a thing. I got to sit with my feet up watching The Glee Project. My only assist was doing the shopping earlier in the week and directing him to the recipe.

Bliss.

Ron loves scalloped potatoes and ham, and we have made this recipe from Taste of Home in the past. I came across Ree's recipe a few weeks ago and decided that we should try a new recipe. Her recipe uses two different types of cheese, russet potatoes and does not make a traditional roux. This recipe was absolutely delicious. I think I like it even more than the recipe from Taste of Home. Ron and I were thrilled with this recipe (it is very easy), and very happy that it makes a ton for lunch leftovers! I think we will be keeping this recipe on hand for our holiday ham leftovers this Christmas!

I hope the week is going well. We are headed to Door County tonight for dinner with my family. My cousins are in town from Chicago!!


Ingredients

3 pounds Russet Potatoes, Washed Thoroughly and Peeled
2 Tablespoons Butter
1 whole Yellow Onion, Diced
3 cups Diced Ham
1 1/2 cup Half-and-half
1 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
1/4 cup Flour
Black Pepper, To Taste
1 cup Grated Cheddar Cheese
1 cup Grated Monterey Jack Cheese


Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a large casserole dish.

Heat butter in a large skillet. Add onions and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until they start to turn translucent. Add ham and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat and set aside.

Combine half-and-half and cream in a microwave-safe container and nuke for a minute or so, until no longer cold. Whisk in flour and black pepper until totally combined. Set aside. (You may add salt, but cheese and ham are salty, so add sparingly.)

Combine the two grated cheeses. Set aside.

Using a mandoline or slicer, slice potatoes into 1/8-inch slices (very thin.) Layer 1/3 of the potato slices in the buttered casserole dish. Sprinkle on 1/3 of the ham/onion mixture, then 1/3 of the cheese, then pour on 1/3 of the cream mixture.

Repeat this twice more, ending with a sprinkling of cheese and a pouring on of the rest of the cream mixture. Cover dish with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 20 minutes at least, or until bubbly and hot.

Enjoy!

Labels: , , , ,