Improv Cooking Challenge: Green and Gold Bread (aka Banana Zucchini Crumble Bread)

Another Improv Cooking Challenge has come! The theme for this month is zucchini and brown sugar- a perfect way to use up all those garden zucchini!

I knew that I wanted to make a quick bread, but was unsure what combo to use. I knew plain zucchini wasn't going to cut it.  I came across this recipe from AllRecipes and knew with the right tweaks it would be just what I was wanting to make. I ultimately decided on banana and zucchini (with a bonus crumble topping)because it is green and gold like our Green Bay Packers! I thought this was a perfect recipe to get in the spirit of game day and would also be something easy to bring to a tailgate since it can be wrapped up.

Ron and I loved this bread. The original recipe is for muffins, but I adjusted the heat and cooking time. I also took out a banana and added the grated zucchini. If you aren't a fan of the crumble topping (I don't know what you are thinking...) this can easily be made sans crumble.

If you want to get involved in the Improv Cooking Challenge get in touch with our wonderful hostess Kristen of Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker.

Next month: Oatmeal and Raisins.....I am thinking some pumpkin needs to be added to the mix- it is October!


Ingredients

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 bananas, mashed
1 cup grated zucchini
3/4 cup white sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon butter


Instructions

Pre heat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x5 loaf pan. Set aside.

In a large bowl, mix together 1 1/2 cups flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat together bananas, zucchini, sugar, egg and melted butter. Stir the banana/zucchini mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened. Spoon batter into prepared loaf pan.

In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and cinnamon. Cut in 1 tablespoon butter until mixture resembles a coarse crumble. Sprinkle topping over bread.

Bake for 50-60 minutes or until an inserted toothpick come out clean. Allow bread to cool before removing from the baking dish.

Labels: , , , , , ,