Penne A'La Betsy

The lighting in my house just ok, and if we don't have dinner ready pretty early natural lighting is out. However, I am not going to spend money on lighting and don't really have the time at this point in my life to really be too concerned. The only thing I can do is tell you that this photo does not do this pasta justice! This recipe comes from Pioneer Woman and is wonderfully simple. Ron has been on a shrimp kick lately and I have had this recipe for awhile but had yet to make it. I subbed in 2% milk for the heavy cream and reduced the amount to lighten the recipe since there was already butter involved. I also have the sauce a little extra time to thicken because of the milk substitution.

I have to share a funny story with you about baby clothes. We received this adorable coverall from a friend as an early shower gift because she will be out of town. The friend was my trainer when I showed horses and I adore this outfit. However, it had the most hysterical tag on it: "For the child's safety the garment should fit snugly. This garment it not flame resistant. Loose fitting garment is more likely to catch on fire".

Good thing I have another outfit in mind to use as Kellen's flame suit.

Ingredients

1 lb Penne Pasta (we used gluten free)
1 lb Cooked Shrimp
2 Tablespoons Butter
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1/2 cup White Wine
1 can Tomato Sauce (8 Oz)
3/4 cup 2% milk
 2 Tbl Chopped Fresh Parsley
2 Tbl Chopped Fresh Basil
Salt To Taste
Pepper To Taste


Instructions

Cook the penne pasta according to package instructions.

Peel, devein and rinse 1 pound of cooked shrimp.  Chop the shrimp into bite –sized pieces and set aside.

In a large skillet heat 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add the garlic and onion and sauté, stirring occasionally. After the garlic and onions have cooked for about 5 minutes add the wine. Let the wine evaporate for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.

Now add an 8-ounce can of tomato sauce. Stir well until combined. Add milk and stir. Turn heat down to low and let simmer for about 5 minutes.

Next, chop the herbs and set aside. Now add the chopped shrimp back into the tomato cream sauce. Stir and add salt and pepper to taste. Throw in the herbs and stir until combined. Finally, add the cooked penne pasta and stir to coat evenly.

Labels: , , ,