Deep Dish Apple Cranberry Crumble

As you know October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. Last year I participated in Jen's, author of Beantown Baker, Power of Pink Challenge. This year i wanted to participate again because I feel the cause is very important. My aunt is a breast cancer survivor and I know there are many other families who have seen how difficult this disease is.


Jen's Power of Pink Challenge gets us to think about breast cancer awareness and express that with our posts. The rules of the challenge are simple. The food must be PINK.  Last year I made beet and kale risotto. This year I decided to go the sweet route and make a crumble. I saw fresh cranberries starting to fill up the shelves at my supermarket, and decided an apple cranberry crumble would be perfect. This recipe is very easy to put together and is delicious. I love the sweet apples paired with the tart cranberries- a perfect fall dessert. Challenge submissions can be entered until midnight on October 31st- check out Jen's blog for details if you would like to participate.


Ingredients

filling:
12 oz fresh cranberries
6 apples (we use macintosh), peeled & cubed
Juice from 1/2 lemon
1 cup sugar
1 Tbl cinnamon

crumble:
1/2 stick butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup all purpose flour (almond flour would be delicious to make it gluten free)


Instructions

Preheat over to 375 degrees.

In a large bowl, mix cranberries, apples, sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon.  Gently pour the filling into a large rimmed baking dish.

In a medium bowl, cream butter and sugar. Gently add flour and stir to create clumps (or crumbles!). Top the apple and cranberry mixture with the crumble.

Bake uncovered for 45 minutes. The sides will be bubbly and topping will begin to brown.

(Serves 8-10)

Labels: , , ,