Gluten Free Caramelitas

I think I may have lactation cookied myself out! In my efforts to make excuses to have dessert every night I went in search of a new oat recipe that I could easily adapt with flax and brewer's yeast. I came across this recipe for Caramelitas on Amber's blog Dessert Now, Dinner Later.  I made a few changes and used gluten free flour, and these bars still came out delicious. You could always omit the flax and brewer's yeast in your version, but it does add some extra nutrients (and helps milk production!) to something that is not very health (but sooooo delicious).  When the bars have finished baking make sure you allow the caramel to completely cool, and don't worry they will still be nice and gooey.  I can't wait to dig into on of these bad boys tonight!


Ingredients

32 Caramel squares, unwrapped
1/2 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup flour (I use gluten free)
1 cup rolled oats (I use gluten free)
1 tsp baking soda
2 Tbl brewer's yeast (optional)
3 Tbl ground flax (optional)
6 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips


Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine caramels and heavy cream in a small saucepan over medium-low heat.  Stir until completely melted and smooth. Remove from heat and set aside. 

In a separate bowl, combine melted butter, brown sugar, flour, oats, baking soda, flax and brewer's yeast.  Pat half of the oatmeal mixture into the bottom of an lightly greased 8x8" pan (I use PAM).  Bake for 10 minutes.

Remove pan from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips evenly over crust.  Evenly pour caramel over chocolate chips.  Crumble remaining oatmeal mixture over caramel.

Return to oven and bake an additional 18-20 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned.  Remove from oven and cool completely before cutting.

Labels: , , ,