Recipe Swap: Crustless Quiche Lorraine

What better wway to  celebrate a belated Valentine's Day than with a Recipe Swap?


The theme for this swap was special occasion. I recieved Quiche Lorraine from Sparks from the Kitchen. I love quiche and have never made one at home. However, I have a husband who can't have the crust. My first thought was to buy the pre-made gluten free crust, but my store was out for the entire week! Ugh! My second thought was to just make the crust and eat it all myself (hehehe). I could have tried to make my own gluten free pie crust, but I have yet to find a recipe that I really like. However, I finally decided to try the recipe as a crustless quiche. The filling portion was very easy to put together and it was fantastic. I love the soft creamy texture of the egg custard with the flavors from the cheese and pancetta. Next time I would like to try the crust when I have more people eating than just myself.  Stop over to visit Alison's blog to see more delicious recipe! I think the recipe for Tuscan Cannellini Bean Soup sounds fantastic!

Thank you for a yummy recipe and thank you to Sarah of A Taste of Homecooking for organizing the swap!


Ingredients

8 ounces pancetta (cut to thickness of regular bacon) cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
1 cup whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
7 ounces Gruyère cheese grated 
Butter


Instructions

Adjust oven rack to center position and heat oven to 375 degrees.

Fry panchetta in skillet over medium heat until crisp and brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer with slotted spoon to paper towel-lined plate. Meanwhile, whisk all remaining ingredients except cheese in medium bowl.

Grease pie dish with butter (or cooking spray). Spread cheese and bacon evenly over bottom of pie dish. Pour in custard mixture. Bake until lightly golden brown and a knife blade inserted about one inch from the edge comes out clean, and center feels set but soft like gelatin, 32 to 35 minutes. Transfer quiche to rack to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Labels: , , , ,