Strawberry Rhubarb Bread

I love rhubarb....I also love the tangy sweet combo of strawberry and rhubarb which is awesome because it is rhubarb season! When Ron and I moved into our house there was a potted rhubarb plant waiting on the deck. The former owners left us a bottle of champagne, but I was way more excited about my new plant. I have searched around for a great recipe for strawberry rhubarb bread and decided to give Smitten Kitchen's recipe a try. The recipe immediately caught my eye because of the addition of white rum. Ron and I are both big fans of rum and I love when I can throw a little booze into cooking or baking. I left out the nuts from the bread and added a little extra fruit. The recipe also included a crumble topping (which would have been awesome), but laziness took over. Oops. This bread was absolutely delicious! I made a loaf for my friend Emily (I added in a little brewer's yeast as well) to go along with delivered dinner and a visit to meet her new baby girl.  If you have some extra rhubarb from your garden I highly recommend this recipe!


Ingredients

3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon rum
1 cup flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup sour cream
2/3 cup diced rhubarb
2/3 cup chopped strawberries


Instructions

Beat together the brown sugar, vegetable oil, egg, vanilla and rum. Combine the flours, salt and baking soda; stir. Add dry ingredients to first mixture with the sour cream.Gently fold the in strawberries and rhubarb.
Spread into a greased 9×5-inch loaf pan ( the batter will be very thick). Bake at 350° for about 55 to 65 minutes.

Labels: , ,