Chicken Gnocchi Soup

Ron and I love gnocchi, but have not eaten it over the past few years because Ron was believed to be gluten intolerant. Recently, Ron went in for further testing and it was found that he is in fact NOT gluten intolerant. Ron was super annoyed by the whole situation, but on the bright side he can eat wheat again. I have never seen the man so happy as when he was eating his first doughnut in 4 years.  While the past few years have been difficult (and expensive), eating without gluten has taught us a lot about processed foods and things we will continue to avoid in our diets.  

This is a soup that I have seen on a couple of different blogs that I follow and is a copycat Olive Garden recipe (The recipe can be found at CopyKat Recipes). In the past I thought it looked delicious, but did not make it because of the gnocchi. When Ron's doctor said that he could have wheat this was one of the first recipes that popped into my head. The original recipe called for half & half and dried herbs. I used fresh herbs from our garden, a bit more spinach, chicken stock over broth and 2% milk to lighten it up a bit. I also slightly increased the amount of flour because I wasn't using half & half. 

Ron and I loved this soup. The flavors are really nice and bright. I loved the fresh herbs with the creamy chicken flavors. The gnocchi makes the soup very rich and is perfect on a cooler night. Wisconsin (at least Green Bay) had a heat wave last week and is now very cool (63 degrees) so soup seemed appropriate. 


Ingredients


Instructions

Melt the butter into the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion becomes translucent. Whisk in the flour and cook for about 1 minute. Whisk in the milk. Simmer until thickened. Whisk in the chicken broth. Simmer until thickened again. Stir in thyme, parsley, nutmeg, carrots, spinach, chicken, and gnocchi. Simmer until the soup is heated through. Before serving, season with salt and pepper.

Labels: , , ,