Basil Shrimp in a Coconut Curry Sauce

Ron and I absolutely adore Thai food and when I saw this recipe I knew it was a must make. The original recipe called for chicken, but I had some shrimp that needed to be used and thought it would work perfectly.  Besides using shrimp the only changes I made was to decrease the number of jalapeno peppers and to increase the amount of chili powder from 1/4 tsp to 1 tsp. I really like chili powder and wanted a little more kick since I decreased the number of jalapeno peppers. However, if you do not care for the smokey chili flavors I would only use 1/4 tsp.  I also cut down on the marinating time because I did not think it needed a full two hours. 

The flavors in this dish are fantastic and I love how easy it is to put together- perfect for a weekday meal. I really make an effort to keep us from getting in a rut when it comes to quick meals, and this was a perfect dinner on a busy night! 


Basil Shrimp in a Coconut Curry Sauce
Adapted from  Better Homes and Gardens Bridal Edition Cookbook
 as seen on Proceed with Caution & Prevention RD

Ingredients

2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
1/2 tsp salt, divided
1 tsp chili powder
1 1/4 lb peeled raw shrimp
1 Tbl olive oil
1/2 cup red onion, chopped
1 jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 can unsweetened coconut milk
1/2 Tbl cornstarch
3 Tbl fresh basil, cut into ribbons
1 tsp ginger root, freshly grated
1 1/2 cups dry brown rice


Instructions

In a medium bowl combine curry powder, black pepper,  1/4 tsp salt, and chili powder. Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces. Add to spice mixture in bowl; toss to coat. Cover and chill for an 20-60 minutes.

Cook rice according to package directions.

Pour oil into a large nonstick skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and saute for 2 minutes or till just pink. Remove from skillet and set aside.

Add onion, jalapeno pepper, and garlic to skillet. Cook and stir about 5-6 minutes or until tender.

Stir together coconut milk, cornstarch, and remaining 1/4 tsp salt until smooth. Carefully add to onion mixture in skillet. Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly.

Return shrimp to skillet. Stir in basil and ginger. Cook and stir about 3 minutes or until heated through. 

Serve over hot rice. 

Labels: ,