Strawberry Basil Shortcake

Time for June's Improv Cooking Challenge! 

The theme for this month was berries and cream.  We love berries in our house and a little cream on top is an extra treat! Needless to say I was excited to come up with something our challenge.  I have been wanting to try making strawberry shortcake for awhile because I never made it before. I was looking for something simple, but tasty since I had not made it before and am still a bit of a cautious baker.  I went to my online cooking board and this Betty Crocker recipe was recommended.  To put my own spin on the recipe I decided that basil was a must. I am a big fan of strawberry and basil together and I thought it would be a perfect twist on this traditional treat. I added basil to the strawberries and to the biscuits. The flavors of strawberry and basil were excellent with the rich cream.  I also added a bit of our homemade vanilla extract to the cream for a little extr

I shared this dessert with my family and we gobbled it down at record speed. I can't wait to make it again!

If you want to join the fun of the Improv Cooking Challenge visit Kristen of Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker for details! 

Next month's theme is popcorn and peanuts- I can't decide if I am thinking of going to towards the ball park, or going towards Thai flavors....decisions decisions....


Ingredients

4 cups strawberries, sliced
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tbl finely chopped fresh basil
2 1/3 cups Original Bisquick mix
1/2 cup milk (I used whole milk)
3 Tbl sugar
3 Tbl butter, melted
1/8 cup chopped fresh basil
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/2 tsp vanilla extract


Instructions

Heat oven to 425°F. 

In large bowl, mix strawberries, 2 Tbl of basil and 1/4 cup sugar and set aside.

In medium bowl, stir Bisquick mix, milk, 3 tablespoons sugar, 1/8 cup basil and the butter until soft dough forms. 

On ungreased cookie sheet, drop dough by 6 spoonfuls. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. 

In small bowl, beat whipping cream and vanilla with electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form.
Split warm shortcakes; fill and top with strawberries and whipped cream.


An InLinkz Link-up

Labels: , , ,