Roasted Garlic, Sea Salt and Black Pepper Butter

I was at our local farmer's market last week and picked up a few heads of fresh garlic. I love when I can get it fresh because the smell is intoxicating and it is so tender compared to the more dry variety at the store.  I knew that I wanted a roast a bit to use in marinades and for a butter to use on our grilled corn. 

Roasting garlic is one of the easiest things you can do in the kitchen while having your friends still finding you mildly impressive with you mad skillz. To be honest, I was a bit intimidated by it until I actually tried it and realized what a giant wuss I was for not trying it earlier.

I decided to add coarse ground pepper and sea salt to my butter for a little additional spice.  I like to use unsalted butter when making my own flavors because I can determine the salt level and what type of salt I want to use. 

After the butter was finished and had set we spread it over fresh corn fresh off the grill. So how did roasted garlic match with fresh grilled corn (like I need to say it)? Delicious perfection!  The garlic flavor was not too strong and was perfectly salted and peppered. Ron liked to use the butter to cook his eggs for breakfast and tells me that it is a fantastic combo.

I am so happy to be home after three days of training for work! I love the knowledge gained, but it gets exhausting. I was lucky enough to be in Madison for two days and went to one of my favorite restaurants, Bluephies.  I had am amazing 5 spice pork tenderloin with a sweet potato and chorizo hash....it was incredible. Bluephies is also a vodkatorium and has a wonderful brunch. 

This weekend I put nothing on our agenda (besides a casual dinner with friends to our favorite Mexican restaurant) and it is glorious. I am thinking we might stop  at the fair to see the animals and get together with one of our friends to let the kids run. I love easy weekends....they always are extra sweet after a week of crazy work schedules! 


Ingredients

1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 medium garlic head (it should have about 8-10 good sized cloves)
 1/2 tsp Seat Salt
1 tsp Course Ground Pepper

Wax Paper


Instructions

roasted garlic:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. slice the garlic at the stem, and wrap it in aluminum foil with a drizzle of olive oil on  top of it. Wrap it up and roast for 30 minutes. Cool and squeeze out garlic cloves. 

Place butter and garlic into a food possessor (you could do this by hand as well).  Pulse till smooth.  Add sea salt and black pepper. Pulse and taste adding more sea salt and pepper if desired. 

Dollop the butter onto wax paper towards one end. Roll it up to create a log and secure the end by twisting or with small rubber bands. Place in fridge for a few hours and until set. When ready to serve  unwrap and slice.  

Labels: , , ,