Brown Sugar Apple Basil Muffins

Time for September's Crazy Ingredient Challenge!



The ingredients for this month are apples and basil. I skipped out on August's challenge mainly because I did not get thing together in time to post! This time since we voted to use two ingredients that I absolutely love I couldn't wait to make my recipe.

We are lucky enough to have two apple trees and a pear tree in our backyard and I am always trying to come up with different recipes once apple season arrives. I decided to stay pretty traditional and make muffins because I love apple in breads, and I knew Kellen would love them.

I loved the flavors of the apples with the basil! I am a big fan of strawberry and basil, but apple and basil is providing some serious competition. The basil is very subtle but, adds a light peppery flavor to the muffins which works really well with the brown sugar.

Today we are headed to Lake Geneva for a little R&R and a boat ride with a few of Ron's college friends. We are also headed to an Italian restaurant for dinner! Kellen is hanging with his grandparents this weekend and will be sufficiently spoiled with hugs and tractor rides.

If you are interested in joining our challenge, stop over to Dawn of Spatulas on Parade to say hello and to get more information. 


Ingredients

1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar (+ 3-4 Tbl for topping)
2/3 cup oil
2/3 cup unsweetend applesauce
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tap baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
2 cups diced apples
1/4 cup diced basil


Instructions

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and ginger. Set aside. 

In a mixing bowl (you can use stand or hand held), cream sugars, oil, applesauce, vanilla and eggs.  Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet. Finally, gently fold in the apples and the basil. 

Spoon batter into lined cupcake pans. Sprinkle tops lightly with brown sugar. Bake for 30-35 minutes. 

Makes 18 muffins. 

An InLinkz Link-up

Labels: , , , , ,