Slowcooker Thai Peanut Beef

Ron and I love Thai food, but going out on weeknights can be challenging with busy schedules. Even more than going out for Thai, we love the leftover the next day because the flavors get spicier and more delicious. I wanted to make a Thai inspired dinner that could double as a easy lunch the following day. I decided to incorporate some of my favorite Thai flavors in this meal red curry, coconut milk and peanut. I was initially worried how the coconut milk would hold up over an extended cooking time, but it worked very well and smelled amazing when I walked in the door after work. I served our meal with brown rice to clean up all of the delicious sauce.  Ron and I loved this meal and the leftover, as expected, were perfect. The dish is not very spicy (a small bite)  for using 2 tablespoons of red curry, and if you would like it spicier I would recommend a bit more red curry or adding a chopped hot pepper. 

Tonight Ron, Kellen and I are hanging around at home. I am working on a a few new recipes that I am very excited to share with you in the near future, and a few projects outside the cooking world. Another fun thing to report, I won my work chili cook-off. It was the same recipe and I entered in the Texas Star Cook-Off, and it was so nice that everyone enjoyed it! 

Tomorrow my cooking board is starting up our recipe swap, and I can't wait to see what everyone made!


Ingredients

2 1/2 lb top round roast (or other comparable cut of beef)
Salt and pepper
1 can Coconut milk (not lite)
1/2 cup peanut butter
2 Tbl Thai red curry paste
2 Tbl soy sauce
1 Tbl honey
3 Tbl chopped fresh cilantro
1 1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger
3/4 cup beef stock
1 lb fresh snap pea pods, trimmed and cleaned
Salt, to taste
Brown Rice, cooked


Instructions

In a medium bowl, whisk together coconut milk, peanut butter, curry paste, soy sauce, honey, cilantro, ginger and beef stock. Place roast into the crockpot and season with salt and pepper. Pour coconut mixture over the top of the roast and cook on low 8-9 hours. During the last hour of cooking shred roast so it can soak in the curry sauce. Add pea pods and stir. Cover and cook for an additional hour. Season with salt if needed. Serve with hot brown rice. 

Labels: , , ,