Slowcooker Cola BBQ Spare Ribs

Ribs + Slowcooker = A combination I had not tried before until recently and found myself saying, "why didn't I try this sooner!". I used spare ribs in my recipe because they were a little smaller (better fit in my slowcooker) and the spare ribs at my market looked amazing and meaty while I was shopping.  I opted to make a cola bbq sauce with a bit of orange flavor. I enjoy a little citrus in my bbq because I feel like it add a bit of tang and brightens the flavor of the smokey sauce.  I prefer to use Stubb's bbq sauce because it is not as sweet as other sauces on the market, but very full flavored. These ribs are fantastically easy and perfect for a weeknight comfort food. 

Tonight I am headed to workout after work and burn off a little bit of those extra Thanksgiving calories! I like going to the gym or playing volleyball to keep active. Currently, I lift weights twice a week, but my goal is to bump it up to 3 times a week after the holidays are over and life slows down a bit. I really enjoy challenging myself and love the feel I get after a really hard workout. It is hard getting to the gym with a toddler, but I am lucky enough that between Ron's schedule and mine we can make it work (my gym also has a tot spot if I needed it in a pinch).  I am also hoping that we can get our tree up!

Ron and I also started a new show called State of Affairs (like we need one more thing), and I am really enjoying it so far! We are also continuing to be big fans of SVU, Chicago PD and Stalker. I really enjoy Survivor, and can occasionally get Ron sucked into the show with me (this season is awesome!). 

Ingredients

3 lb pork spare ribs
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp paprika 
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
12 ounce cola
1 1/2 Tbl Worcestershire sauce
1 cup BBQ sauce (we use Stubb's Original)


Instructions

Mix dry seasoning in a small bowl. Place ribs in the crockpot and rub seasoning into the ribs. Mix orange juice, cola and Worcestershire sauce in a bowl and pour over the ribs. Cook on low for eight to ten hours. An hour before you are ready to serve the ribs drain the liquid from the crockpot. Gently brush ribs with bbq sauce. Cover and allow them to cook on low for an additional hour. 

Labels: , ,