Weeknight White Chicken Chili

Tomorrow is Christmas Eve! Woo hoo!

This recipe is not Christmasy or festive, but it is a delicious and quick meal that is perfect during the final preparation for the holiday. I love white chicken chili and it was a favorite growing up at my house. I made a quick version that is perfect when you need dinner on the table on a weeknight. I added a little beer to my chili because I like the slightly bitter taste it give to the soup, but feel free to replace it with stock if you prefer not to use beer.  Normally, I soak my beans for this type of soup, but since this was a quick version I used canned and rinsed them before adding them to my chili. I also like to load mine with different topping so add your favorites- mine are always tortilla, cheese, sour cream and olives.  My entire family loved this meal and it was a perfect meal to warm our bellies on a cold damp evening. 

Tonight, we are finishing up any last minutes gift buying and gift wrapping.  I am off work for the remainder of the week and can finish will finish any odds and ends before my parents Christmas celebration.  The best part of having time off work is that Kellen and I get to spend the day together.  I am going to let him try his hand at oreo truffles and peppermint bark (he will probably eat them all) tomorrow before taking him out for lunch.  Also on my agenda tonight is to watch Christmas Vacation and Home Alone.  The only Christmas movie I have seen this year is the Grinch- I am way behind. Tomorrow we will watch The Ref (if you have not seen this please watch it because it is hysterical) with my family after the food and gifts wind down. 

Today, it is raining in Green Bay, but snow is in the forecast for tomorrow and I am hoping for a white Christmas!  I hope everyone’s shopping and prepping is coming to a close and that you enjoy the holiday with those you love!  


Ingredients

1 Tbl olive oil
1 white onion, diced
1 Poblano pepper, finely chopped
4 cans Great Northern Beans, Drained and Rinsed
2 1/2 cups cooked chopped chicken
2 cans diced green chilies
8 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup beer (I use a lighter beer)
1 Tbl chili powder
1/2 Tbl ground cumin
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Garnishes:
Sour Cream
Chopped Cilantro
Sliced Olives
Tortillas
Cheese 
Diced Jalapeno 


Instructions

In a soup pot, saute onions and poblano in olive oil till tender.  Add remaining ingredients and season with additional salt and pepper if needed.  Heat soup to medium high and allow it to lightly simmer for about 15-20 minutes to allow the flavors to blend together. 

To serve, place a tortilla in the bowl if desired and ladle in the soup. Top with desired garnishes. 

Labels: , , , , ,