Bacon Pesto Spread

I love dip and spreads, and if you are a regular read you know that I love to play with different flavors. One of my favorite flavor combinations is pesto and bacon. It seems that it has become pretty popular and I have seen it more and more in restaurants (mainly with pasta). I love the herby garlic flavors in pesto mixed with the smokey salty bacon. I also love fresh tomatoes in this combination for a little acidity.  

I made this with the last of our homemade pesto from the summer and it made me sad that I have to wait till July for the bounty of fresh basil. I can buy it at the store, but it is very expensive since it is off season. However, it was wonderful to get a flavor from the summer in this appetizer. Besides being delicious this dip is super quick, and the only thing that takes a little time is cooking the bacon and chopping the tomatoes! The dip also travels well and would be perfect to bring to a Superbowl party this Sunday. 

Tonight we are hanging at home and I am working on a few recipes for an upcoming blog event/giveaway. The movie Fury also come out this week to rent at home, and we have been wanting to see it and never had a chance in the theater.  Ron and I both like history (esp WWII) and WWII military movies are usually something we never miss, and our interest was the reason for our trip to Normandy, France last summer. I was thinking about Normandy the other day while making dinner and I wish I was back there again! It feels very similar the the area I live the the coastal beauty is second to none. If you ever have a chance to visit- take it without a second thought! 


Ingredients

12 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sour cream
12 slices bacon, cooked and chopped 
1/3 cup pesto
1/2 cup quartered cherry tomatoes


Instructions

Mix together cream cheese and sour cream until smooth. Stir in the pesto and then gently mix in the bacon (reserving 1 Tbl for topping). Spread into a serving dish. Top with quartered tomatoes and chopped bacon. Serve immediately with crackers or bread, or chill until ready to serve.  

Labels: , , , ,