Creamy Balsamic and Herb Chicken

I pinned this recipe from Mother Thyme in fall last year and am finally getting around to making it. I love balsamic vinegar and the addition of fresh herbs and cream sounded too delicious to pass up! The chicken is lightly sauteed before finishing in the cream sauce so it develops a delicious and flavorful coating on the outside and is juicy on the inside. I served this with roasted potatoes and roasted brussel sprouts, but I almost wish I made mashed potatoes to mop up all the delicious sauce. The fresh herbs make the dish, in my opinion, and as I ate it I thought how fantastic this will be in the summer using herbs from our garden! We eat a lot of chicken in our house, and this is one recipe I can't wait to share with family and friends- my sister and mom would go nuts for this meal! Kellen also loved the chicken and loved dipping his portion into the sauce before popping it into his mouth. 

Tonight, my friend Emily is coming over with her daughter for a little Law and Order: SVU (long live Elliot Stabler) fiesta and I am trying out a new casserole recipe. It has been so cold here that a casserole will taste delicious and comforting on this cold blustery night. 

Later this week I have a delicious recipe using meyer lemons- a perfect balance of tart and sweet!


Ingredients

4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts 
3 Tbl all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 Tbl olive oil
2 Tbl butter
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup heavy whipping cream
4 tap balsamic vinegar
1 tsp chopped fresh basil
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary


Instructions

Place chicken breasts on wax paper. Top with another sheet of wax paper, and using a mallet flatten chicken to about 1/2 inch thick.

Add flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder to a large resealable bag. Add chicken and toss to coat. 

In a large rimmed skillet heat butter and oil until butter over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook about 4-5 minutes per side. Remove chicken from the pan and set aside.

Add chicken broth to skillet to deglaze pan. Whisk in heavy cream, balsamic vinegar and herbs and bring to a slow simmer.

Add chicken back to skillet and turn to coat. Cook for an additional 5 minutes. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes and allow sauce thicken slightly (sauce will thicken upon standing).

Place chicken on serving platter. Pour sauce over chicken and serve.

Labels: