Creamy Wild Rice and Sausage Soup

Time for January Improv Cooking Challenge! 

The theme for this month is pork and rice. My mind went a few different ways when deciding what to make: pineapple fried rice, a casserole or a stuffed pepper. I finally decided on making a soup. I don't know about you, but there is nothing better than a big bowl of soup on a cold evening after a long day. I kept this recipe really simple and used a simple seasoned ground pork sausage, chopped veggies, fresh herbs and a bit of cream. I knew I wanted to use fresh thyme, and decided to add a bit of fresh marjoram to the soup because I love the slightly sweet flavor it gives to a dish. This soup was amazing and my entire family gobbled it up. Kellen loves soup and kept telling us "I love this" in between spoonfuls of warm soup. 

Tonight we are headed to Appleton for my friend Amanda's inauguration. We are so proud of her election to the State Assembly and wouldn't miss this for the world! After the inauguration we are heading out for Pho. I know Kellen will be thrilled because he adores Pho and it is so cute to watch him slurp the noodles and drink the broth. I am also hoping that we can get an order of chicken saute- I love the sauce! I am also getting ready for our trip to the Dells this weekend! I am so excited to get away for the evening and enjoy some time with my family and friends! 

If you want to join the fun of the Improv Cooking Challenge visit Lesa of Edesia's Notebook for details! 

Stay tuned for next month's recipe using Coffee and Cream!


Ingredients

1 lb pork sausage
1 onion, diced
5 stalks of celery, sliced thin
3 carrots, roughly chopped
1 Tbl fresh minced thyme
1 tsp fresh minced marjoram
1 cup uncooked wild rice
7 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup cream
Salt and Pepper, to taste


Instruction

In a soup pot, brown sausage over medium heat. Add onion, celery and carrots to the sausage and cook till tender.  Add herbs and stir. Add stock and rice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to bring soup to a slow simmer. Cover and cook till rice is tender (depending on the wild rice blend you use times may differ). 

Remove cover and add cream. Season with salt and pepper and serve.  

An InLinkz Link-up

Labels: , , , , ,