White Cheddar Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes

I discovered a long utilized method for mashed potatoes a few months ago after years of resistance..... the stand mixer. All I have to say is that I drank the Kool-Aid and it was goooooood. I always mashed by hand or with a hand mixer until I decided to follow the road traveled by other mash potato lovers and try out my stand mixer. My method is simple: cook potatoes, drain and place in mixer, add butter mix with whisk attachment until just blended,  turn up the speed and slowly drizzle in the milk until light and fluffy, and season with salt & pepper.  I am so annoyed with myself for not doing this when I got the stand mixer....YEARS ago.... In my defense, all of my instincts told me they would be an over mixed gloppy mess....wrong again. 

 Seriously, if you have a stand mixer try this method and you will never go back. 

I love roasted garlic and use it in a lot of different recipes, and I love any chance I get to add it to mashed potatoes. I also like to play with different flavors with the roasted garlic (you may remember my roasted garlic white chocolate potatoes- surprisingly awesome combo) I usually like to roast in bulk, but a scaled down recipe is listed below. I love roasted garlic and mixed with sharp white cheddar makes an awesome mashed potato dish! I like to use Steve's white cheddar because it is a Wisconsin brand, close to home, and it is super sharp and full of flavor. 

I am already looking forward to the weekend because we are grabbing sushi with friends before our friend's birthday party! I love sushi and I don't get it very often so I am really excited to dig in on Saturday!  I love escolar and always make sure to get it along with a few rolls!  I am sure a saki cocktail will also make an appearance..... 


Ingredients

2 1/2 - 3 lb russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
3 Tbl butter
1/4 cup roasted garlic (about 2-4 heads depending on size)
1/2-2/3 cup milk (depends on the thickness you desire)
1/2 cup grated sharp white cheddar
Salt and Pepper, to taste


Instructions

roasted garlic:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cut off  top of garlic heads. Drizzle olive oil into a small baking dish. Place garlic in baking dish. Drizzle garlic with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover baking dish with foil and roast until tender, 45 minutes-1 hour. Cool slightly and squeeze out garlic cloves. 

Boil potatoes till tender. Drain and place in a large mixing bowl.  Add butter and garlic and gently mix while slowly adding the milk. Stir in the white cheddar and season with salt and pepper. 

Labels: , , ,