Homemade Ham and Cheddar "Hot Pockets"

Are you a hot pocket lover? Hot Pockets were one of my favorite things in high school and college.  My favorite kind was ham and cheese or 4 cheese with marinara sauce. It has been about 10 years since my last Hot Pocket, but I almost pause as I pass by them while at the grocery store.  I saw Amber of Dessert Now, Dinner later post a recipe for Ham and Cheese Pockets and I was immediately sold. I knew that these would be a super easy weeknight meal, and a big hit with my big and little guy.  The only change I made to the recipe was to omit the mustard because I wanted the plain-jane ham and cheese flavors from my nostalgic Hot Pocket days.

The verdict? Love at first bite! These are sooooo good and my family gobbled them up. This recipe makes 8 pockets and we had 2 left…. We chowed down! Kellen really enjoyed the meal and exclaimed several time “I love the pockets Mama!”.  He is so sweet and cute.  Speaking of sweet and cute….. I dropped Kellen at daycare on yesterday and realized that he is a little ladies man. There were two little girls who wanted to help him with take his jacket off and then, when his teacher  pulled them away, another little girl wrapped her arms around him and kissed him. Floor meet jaw. Isn’t he too young for girls???? I thought I was safe a two years old, but apparently not. Sigh.

In other exciting news, Zulily had TOMS on sale today! I might have stocked up and grabbed a new pair for Kellen and I..... we needed a pick me up during the cold winter!

Tonight my friend Emily is coming over for a little SVU action and dinner! Her daughter is a little younger than Kellen and it is cute to watch them play together! We are also having a party for a friend (and mamma-to-be) on Sunday and will be doing a little planning for that as well. 

Have you been watching Walking Dead?? I really liked last week’s episode and it looks like there is tons of action coming up….. I am also counting down the days till April 12th and Game of Thrones can come back into my life! I have read all the books and have re-watched series, and am excited for it to return. 


Ingredients

1 box Puff Pastry Sheets (2 pack)
16-24 slices of thin deli ham
8 medium slices mild cheddar cheese
1 large egg, whisked


Instructions

Thaw the puff pastry on the counter top so it is pliable, but still cool to the touch (about 30 minutes or so).

 Cut each pastry sheet into fourths and roll each square slightly wider so there is room for the filling.

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

Add 2-3 slices of ham and 1 slice of cheese (folded) on half of each pastry square. Brush some egg on the edges of the half of the square with meat and cheese and fold over the top and seal the edges with a fork.

Place pockets on prepared baking sheet. Cut a few slits on top of each pocket with  for ventilation, and brush the tops with the egg.

Bake for 15 to 25 minutes (mine were perfect at 20 minutes).  The dough will rise and get flakey, and make sure to check the bottom of the pocket to make sure the dough is fully cooked. Serve immediately.

Labels: , ,