Lemon Basil Vodka

Whoo Hoo it's Friday (and time for a cocktail??) It is also time for February's Crazy Ingredient Challenge.



The ingredients for this month is lemons and basil- two of my favorite things. I love citrus and herbs, and we play around a lot with different flavor combinations at our house. However, one thing I have been really wanting to make was an infused vodka. One of my favorite summer drinks is vodka on the rocks with a splash of lemonade and, since it is SO cold right now, anything to remind me of summer is a necessity.  I have made other infused vodkas in the past and knew this combo would be a winner.  After my batch was ready I used my vodka with a small splash of lemonade and it brought me back to sitting on my deck relaxing in the summer time....ahhhh.... Another awesome use for this vodka (besides drinking it all yourself...) is to bottle it up and give it to friends for a little winter pick me up. 

I was worried that the basil flavor would be covered by all them lemon, but it did not get muddled at all. I have already been thinking of different fruits to make more vodka....I think my next will be strawberry basil, but that will have to wait till summer.

Tonight we are headed out for dinner with my parents, and tomorrow a swimming birthday party with our friends. On Sunday, I am co-hosting a Blessing Way (and making spaghetti) for our friend and mama-to-be. So excited! 

If you are interested in joining our challenge, stop over to Dawn of Spatulas on Parade to say hello and to get more information.  I am excited to see what everyone else made, and what next month will bring! 


Ingredients

6 lemons, sliced very thing
1 bunch of fresh basil, torn int pieces
Vodka
2 large mason jars


Instructions

Evenly layer lemons and basil between the two mason jars. Pour vodka into the mason jars and screw on the top to seal. Store in a cool dry place for 3-4 days. 

Remove tops and strain. Pour into bottles and store in the fridge.
An InLinkz Link-up

Labels: , , , ,