Salted Nut Roll Bars

Happy birthday to my Ron! 

I made these bars awhile ago, but have been saving them because they are the perfect thing to share for y husband's birthday because it is a homemade version of his favorite candy bar. I originally pinned this recipe from Julie's Eats and Treats, and knew it was a must make. There was a period of time that my husband ate a Salted Nut Roll for breakfast every day. This was of course awhile ago and eating habits have changed, but I still regularly see a candy bar hanging out in his car. 

These bars are absolutely amazing! I brought them to our Dells weekend with our friends and my friend Kayla is also a Salted Nut Roll lover and thought they were delicious. The crust is chewy and gives the perfect texture to these bars to replicate the famous red wrapped treat. My personal favorite part of the bar is the fluffy marshmallow layer. I love marshmallows and the combination of the vanilla crust and roasted peanuts- delicious! 

Tonight, my in-laws are coming to town so Ron and I can grab dinner and a few drinks. We are heading to Bleu at Ron's request and I am looking forward to it because the last time we were there was for restaurant week. We both really liked our food and I looking forward to a fun night together. We are also stopping at The Bar because they give out a mug, glowing sticker and drinks on your birthday. Ron is always mad because he has never had a chance to go on his birthday and said that it was a "must do" this year.  I am just excited that we get to save money on his free drinks.... just kidding. However, I am looking forward to a Spotted Cow on tap! 


Ingredients

1 yellow cake mix
1 egg
3/4 cup melted butter (divided)
3 cup mini marshmallows
12 oz peanut butter chips
1/2 cu[ corn syrup
1 tsp vanilla
2 cup peanuts halves
2 cup Rice Krispies


Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray. Mix the cake mix, egg and 1/4 cup butter. Press into the greased pan. Bake for 10-12 minutes

Put the marshmallows on top of the hot crust. Return to oven for 3 minutes or until puffed up.
Melt the peanut butter chips, corn syrup and 1/2 cup butter. Stir in the vanilla. Slowly add the peanuts and Rice Krispies, and mix well.

Pour peanut mixture over marshmallows. Refrigerate, but make sure to cut before the bars get too hard because it will be hard to cut them (I cut them after about 35-45 minutes. 

Labels: