Bacon, Egg and Roasted Asparagus Salad

First, big thanks to everyone for commenting and entering the #HotSummerEats blogging event! It was a lot of fun and I can't wait to do another one! Congrats to all the prize winners! 

Asparagus season is going strong for a few more weeks in Wisconsin and I like to eat as much as I can before the season ends. Asparagus is always at our grocery store and usually looks nice, but the flavor is nothing compared to the seasonal local asparagus in our area. 

Normally, we grill our asparagus for a side dish, but my favorite combination is asparagus and eggs. I love a runny yolk over perfectly cooked asparagus- so delicious. Over the years, I see different variations of bacon, egg and asparagus salads and wanted to make my own version. I opted to roast my asparagus with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. I topped it with a thick sliced crisp applewood smoked bacon from Nueske's in Wisconsin (seriously the best bacon ever!), grated Romano cheese (I prefer this to Parmesan because it is a little sharper) and a large sunny side-up eggs.  I made this for breakfast on a morning that I was off work because I never have time to make egg on work mornings and, to me, nothing is better than an morning egg! I love how the yolk coated the asparagus, and paired with the sharp Romano and smokey bacon this was an amazing breakfast! 

Tonight I am hitting up the gym, and we are relaxing and enjoying the nice weather after a few days of rain. I need to do a little work in my garden and pull a few radishes- I can't believe veggies are starting to be ready for harvest. My salad bowl lettuce and butter crunch are doing awesome and my basil is loving the warm weather. I can't wait to see the tomatoes and zucchini start to grow! I never thought I would enjoy growing a garden as much as I do, but I love that we have our own fresh grocery store in our backyard! Coming up I will go into a little more detail on our garden, what we are growing and the method to our madness.  

Happy Hump Day! 


Ingredients

1 lb asparagus, woody ends trimmed off
1 1/2 Tbl olive oil 
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 eggs
1 /2 Tbl butter
5 slices thick cut bacon, cooked crisp and chopped
2 Tbl grated Romano cheese


Instructions

Arrange asparagus on a baking sheet and drizzle olive oil over the top and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast asparagus for 10 minutes at 400 degrees.

While the asparagus is cooking fry the eggs. Heat a pan over medium heat and add the butter. Add the eggs and cook till whites are firm and set and yolk is still runny.It is important not to have your heat too high or the edges will burn before the center has set. If you like an over easy egg feel free to give the egg a turn or cook yolk up for sunny side.

Divide asparagus between 2 plates. Next, layer chopped bacon and grated cheese over the asparagus. Top with an egg and an extra shake of freshly  ground black pepper, if desired. 

Labels: , , , , , ,