Steak Enchiladas with Jalapeno Cream Sauce

Enchiladas are one of my favorite things to eat and I normally like a red sauce on mine, but when Jaida at Sweet Beginning posted a recipe for Steak Enchiladas with Jalapeno Cream Sauce with rave reviews I immediately bookmarked it for a future meal plan. 

A few months ago we purchased a 1/4 of a cow and have all kinds of different cuts of meat in our deep freeze and I knew our sirloin steak would be perfect for this recipe. I loved how easy this was to put together and it was even quick enough for a weeknight meal.  Ron, Kellen and I both loved these enchiladas (the kids loves a little spice!).  I loved the tender thinly sliced steak steak with the spicy, rich and creamy jalapeno sauce. I also loved the fresh punch from the chopped cilantro on top of the warm enchiladas. I would put these on my meal plan in a heart beat, and you definitely need to give them a try because you will be licking the dish clean!  

Tonight, we are hanging around the house and doing a little grilling.  I am working on a new chicken thigh recipe coming at you soon, and it is way yummy! We has a ton of rain last night and several streets were flooded and I am going to do a little tending to my plants and hoping that nothing got a little too flooded. On Sunday, I notices that a few of my plants had flower buds and I will be so sad if they got a little too water logged to survive! One of my co-workers told me to put a bit of mulch around the base of my tomato plants since we have had so much rain to help soak up a bit of the wetness and prevent rotting. In other gardening news, my basil is loving the weather and doesn't seem bothered by all the rain- it must know how excited I am to make pesto in the coming weeks! I also have a bit of rainbow chard, salad bowl lettuce and butter crunch that are all loving the weather, and least I will have some survivors if it keeps raining! Any gardening enthusiasts have tricks or tips to keep my plants a safe in the rain?  The are in a raised bed and our yard slopes down and I am hoping that it will help with drainage. 

I will let you know how it turns out, and till then- make these enchiladas! 


Ingredients

1 Tbl olive oil
1 large jalapeno, minced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 cups of heavy cream
1/3 cup of sour cream
1 Tbl olive oil
1 1/2 -2 lb sirloin steak
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 cup shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp chili powder
2 Tbl finely chopped cilantro
10-12 tortillas (I used flour)
2/3 cup Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
1/3 cup chopped cilantro, for topping


Instructions

Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat, add jalapeno and garlic and saute for just under a minute until fragrant. 

Whisk in the heavy cream and sour cream till smooth. Bring to a low boil and add cheese, salt, pepper, chili powder and cumin. Stir and cook for 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in the cilantro.

Season steak with salt, pepper and cumin. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a skillet and heat over medium high heat. Add the steak and cook 3-4 minutes per side or until it reaches desired temperature. Remove from heat and rest for 10 minutes. Slice steaks in very thin slices and set aside. 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spoon about 1/4 cup of the sauce into the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish. 

To assemble the enchiladas, place a sprinkle of cheese on the part of the tortilla closest to you and top with a few slices of steak. Starting with the side closest to you, roll the tortilla up. Place into the baking dish, seam side down and repeat with remaining tortillas and filling. 

Pour the remaining sauce over the enchiladas and top with remaining cheese. Bake for 20 minutes.

Remove from oven and top with chopped cilantro. Serve immediately.

Labels: , ,