Italian Sausage, Bell Pepper and Garlic Scape Risotto

Ooooooo Risotto...... how I adore you. 

I have a hard time not ordering risotto when I see it on a menu, and I love trying different flavor combinations. Right now garlic scapes are popping up at our farmer's market and I couldn't want to wait to try them in a risotto.  Normally, I like to make pesto with garlic scapes, but I wanted to try something new (I of course made pesto too). I knew that an Italian sausage and bell peppers would make a great trio with my scapes, and was I on the money! 

The flavors of this risotto are delicious and I loved the sweet peppers and the bit of sharpness from the scapes- plus how can you go wrong with Italian sausage! I know that risotto can seem like and intimidating thing to make, but I promise you that it is not that hard. It is so versatile and makes a great side or, in this case, a main meal. 

Tonight, I am headed to see the new Terminator movie with my Dad and sister Rachel. The three of us are sci-fi/action fans. My love of the Alien movies comes from getting to watch it, Terminator, Willow and Indiana Jones as a kid. I am also pretty pumped because Emilia Clark is Sarah Connor, and how can things go wrong when Game of Thrones meets a Terminator? Ron is not as impressed with the type of movie as I am, but I can still get him to watch Alien(s) and Jurassic Park! 

Tomorrow, I am heading to the zoo with my friend Emily and a few co-works for a picnic and play time for the kiddos- can't wait! 


Ingredients


1 lb Italian sausage (hot or mild will work)
1 green bell pepper, sliced
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 shallot, diced
2/3 cup chopped garlic scapes
1 cup Arborio rice 
4 cups chicken stock 
3/4 cup dry white wine 
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese


Instructions

Place stock in a medium saucepan. Bring  to a simmer (do not boil). Keep warm over low-medium heat.

Brown sausage in a large rimmed skillet over medium heat.  Once browned, drain excess grease if needed.  Add shallots and peppers. Cook 1-2 minutes. 

 Stir in rice, and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add wine and cook about 2 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly.  Continue by adding stock, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of stock is absorbed before adding the next. Add the garlic scapes with the last portion of stock.  Remove risotto from heat and stir in the cheese. 

Labels: , , , ,