Italian Style Pasta Salad

This pasta salad started off in a totally different direction and ended up becoming an absolutely delicious summer salad. I was originally going to make a sandwich with the pasta ingredients (our local grocery store had a great sale on salami!), but never got around to making it and decided that the ingredients would make a delicious 4th of July pasta salad. 

When we make Italian style sandwiches at our house my favorite dressing to use is olive oil, red wine vinegar and oregano. I love how the flavors soak into the bread and sandwich fillings, and knew that the pasta salad would be delicious with our favorite dressing.  The ingredients of this salad are pretty simple and you certainly could add more things depending on your preferences. Personally, I thought it was delicious as is. I use a very thin sliced salami, but a thicker cut will also work but you will want to make sure the pieces are small enough. I also like to use bocconcini  over a chopped or shredded mozzarella. I love the little pearls and they are a perfect bite. 

My family loved this pasta salad and I had enough leftover to take with me for lunch at work on Monday. I can't wait to make this recipe again! 

Last night I headed to to zoo with a few co-workers and it was practically empty. The kids loves having their picnic and run of the place and looking at all the animals.  Tonight, I am off to volleyball with my girlfriends. We only have two more games and then we are changing to Wednesday nights. I love my weekly nights out and playing on the team is a total blast! My team is getting ready to play in a tournament next week and we are really excited- wish us luck! 

Ingredients

1 lb uncooked shaped pasta
2 roasted red bell peppers, chopped
1 small can sliced black olives
4 oz chopped salami
1/2 cup chopped artichoke hearts
8 oz bocconcini (small balls or mozzarella)
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 1/2 Tbl dried oregano
Salt and black pepper, to taste


Instructions

In a large pot of boiling, cook pasta according to package instructions. Reserve 1/4 cup pasta water and drain pasta. 

Pour pasta into a large mixing bowl and  gently stir in  roasted red peppers, olives, artichoke hearts, salami, mozzarella, vinegar, oil, oregano and reserved pasta water. Season with salt and pepper. 

Cover and chill 30 minutes before serving. 

Labels: , ,