Creamy Chicken Bacon Pesto Gnocchi Skillet

One-pot dishes are the best. Seriously. You can make this dish in less than 30 minutes and that is a lifesaver for my busy family- especially my pesto loving family. 

I have made a few one-pot dishes recently using gnocchi such as, Ham and Cheese Gnocchi Skillet and Bacon Cheeseburger Gnocchi Skillet. One flavor combo I was dying to try was chicken, bacon and pesto because it is one of my favorites and I knew it would make a fantastic dinner. 

To make an easy short cut for this recipe I like to get a rotisserie chicken or place a few breasts in my slowcooker with a little broth in the morning so it is ready to chop by dinner time. You could cook the chicken right before you make the dish if you have the extra time as well.  For cheese, I like to use Monterrey jack and a little Parmesan cheese, but I think throwing in a little feta might be a delicious twist. 

What was the verdict from my family? Well, we almost ate the entire pan if that tells you anything. Kellen loves gnocchi and with the addition of bacon Kellen (and Ron) were in heaven. 

The weather has cooled down today and foiled plans for swimming, but we are going to head to a park tonight with friends. I have a roast in the crockpot for an easy dinner when we return home.  Speaking of swimming, I signed Kellen and I up for a parent child swim class and am really looking forward to it. Kellen was previously doing a class with my mom and it has ended, and I am really looking forward to going with him.  We are taking the class with our friend and her son and I know we will have a lot of fun. Kellen really enjoys swimming and after this class he will be able to do the class without a parent (sniff). 


Ingredients

2 cups cooked chicken
1 lb gnocchi
8 oz heavy cream
2 1/2 cup chicken broth 
 1/2 cup pesto 
Salt and Pepper
7 chopped bacon, divided 
1 1/3 cup Monterrey Jack Cheese
2 Tbl Parmesan


Instructions

In an oven safe skillet add, chicken, gnocchi, cream and broth. Simmer till sauce has thickened and reduced (about 8-12 minutes). 

Stir in pesto and 5 slices of chopped bacon. Cook an additional minute and season with salt and pepper, if desired. 

Top with cheese and broil. 

Remove from oven once cheese has slightly browned and top with remaining bacon.

Labels: , , , ,