Chicken Curry with Potatoes, Carrots and Chickpeas

There is nothing like a good curry and it is almost always the thing that will draw me to certain foods on a menu when I am out to dinner.  Sarah of A Taste of Home Cooking posted a recipe from a friend for Chicken Curry with Potatoes, Carrots and Chickpeas. I loved the sound of it and loved that it was a one pot meal- perfect for a weeknight! 

The recipe is very easy and I changed a few thing around to match how I made the curry. I decreased the oil because I used chicken breasts and it wasn't necessary, and I decreased the amount of chicken broth because I like the sauce for my curry to be a little thicker. I also didn't use cilantro because I forgot to buy it at the store- oops!  My very favorite part of this curry are the chickpeas. I do not make a lot of recipes with them, but always love them when they are in something I am eating. This curry certainly did not disappoint and was a biiiigggg hit with my family. Kellen loved it and loved picking out the chickpeas and carrots (his favorites!).  The leftovers were delicious and I thought it was even better the following day (like most curry) after letting the flavors sit over night- yum! It you aren't familiar with making a curry or haven't done it before this is a great one to start with- easy, fast and delicious! 

Tonight, I am headed to dinner with a few girlfriends. We all have young kids around the same age and it is so nice to get out of the house and get a little time away.  I also need to get Kellen's gift set for tomorrow because my sweet boy is turning 3 tomorrow! We both have off work and are going to spend the day with our little guy and get ready for his birthday party on Saturday!  I still can't believe he is 3.....time truly needs to slow down!  


Ingredients

1 1/2 Tbl olive oil, divided
2 chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces 
salt and pepper 
1 small onion, minced
1 garlic cloves, minced or grated
2 Tbl grated fresh ginger
3 tsp yellow curry powder
1 1/2 cups chicken broth, divided 
4-5 small gold potatoes, cut into bite-size pieces
3 carrots, cut into bite-size pieces
1 can chick peas, drained and rinsed
Juice of one lime
1 tsp fish sauce 
1 can coconut milk
Optional: sriracha or minced cilantro, for serving


Instructions

Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large rimmed skillet over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, then place in the warm skillet. Cook until browned on all side, but not completely cooked. Remove the chicken to a plate and set aside. Add the onion, garlic and ginger to the skillet. Cook until the onions are slightly softened.

Add the ½  tablespoon of olive oil and the curry powder. Stir to coat the ingredients in the skillet with the curry powder, then add the potatoes, carrots, and chick peas. Add 1 cup of chicken broth, then stir to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Season with a little salt and pepper.

Cover and cook until the potatoes and carrots are tender, about 10 minutes. Add the remaining ½ cup chicken broth, coconut milk and fish sauce. Scrape the bottom of the pan again. Bring to a simmer for an additional 5 minutes.

Add the chicken and any accumulated juices, lime juice, and sriracha (if desired) to the pan. Simmer until the sauce has thickened slightly (the sauce will thicken as the curry sits and cools).

Serve over basmati or jasmine rice topped with chopped fresh cilantro (if desired).

Labels: ,