Cheesy Vegetable Chowder with Kielbasa

Green Bay is still in its cold snap and I am still happy about it….probably much to other people’s annoyance.  My long forever cough is being killed off, but things are warming up tomorrow and into the weekend.  However, it is still below freezing…. It is winter in Wisconsin after all.  Poor Ron has been freezing in our house lately and being an overheating pregnant lady I keep the heat in the house lower…..I can usually find Ron covered in two blankets… I keep telling him this will pass…. In a few months.  Poor guy- good thing he loves me and puts up with it. 

Besides using every blanket in the house, this soup is a sure way to keep warm during winter.  My family loves thick and heaty soups and this does not disappoint. I was craving a cheesy broccoli or cauliflower soup and Ron suggested kielbasa and this lovely meal was created. Kellen adored it and loves soup night at our house because it usually means crackers or a roll for dipping.  This came together really quickly and was delicious for lunch leftovers for Ron and I the following day.   I like to season my soup after it is finished because with the cheese and sausage I sometimes find the sodium content differs depending on what brand I am using. 

Tonight, Kellen and I are heading to swim class and then going home so he and Ron can enjoy pizza and boy time. I am heading out with a few girlfriends for Mexican food.  I have really been craving chicken tacos and guacamole and am hoping that they have a few great options. I couldn’t find a menu online so it will be a surprise when I get there!

Tomorrow we are heading to Appleton to Build-A-Bear for my niece’s birthday and I am excited to see how Kellen likes it. He has not been there before and I think will really enjoy picking out a new stuffed animal to create. 

Have a great night everyone and stay warm! 


Ingredients

4 Tbl Diced Onion 
1/3 cup Chopped Carrots 
 1 Tbl butter
2 1/2 Tbl flour 
3 cups chicken broth 
2 cups whole milk
1 ½ cups broccoli florets
1 ½ cups cauliflower florets
1 lb kielbasa, halved and sliced
2 oz Velveeta cheese
2 cup grated sharp cheddar
Salt and pepper, to taste


Instructions

In a medium soup pot, sauté onions and carrots in the butter till onions are translucent and carrots begin to become tender.  Stir in the flour and evenly coat the vegetables.  Stir in the chicken broth and milk and bring to a simmer and allow the soup to thicken slightly. Add the broccoli, cauliflower and kielbasa. Cook till veggies are tender and soup has thickened a bit more.  Add the cheese and stir till melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste. 

Labels: , , ,