Simple Taco Soup

Our house has been on a major soup kick lately. This week soup was on the menu Sunday night and is on the menu tonight! This Taco Soup is a recipe I have made a few times and neglected to post! I don't know what I was thinking because it is a favorite in our house.  The soup is wonderfully easy for a weeknight and Kellen loves it because he can practically do the entire think by himself (aside from the meat and can opening)..... plus it has corn in it....the kids loves corn.  We like to top our soup with corn chips, cheese, black olives for Kellen and I and sour cream, but your could use any of your favorite taco toppings and it would be delicious. This is one of those soups that gets really thick as it sits over night, but the flavors become even more delicious- I love having it for lunch at work the following day. I only made a few adjustments to the recipe and replaced canned corn with frozen, decreased the amount of water and used crushed tomatoes over stewed. I personally prefer not to have the large chunks of tomatoes, but if you prefer stewed feel free to substitute. 

Tonight we have another night at home and I have a pile of laundry to tackle. I may try to get to the gym, but that usually depends on my energy level by the time I get home. I am officially 31 weeks today! 9 weeks (or so) untill this little guy joins the family. I am getting so excited am looking forward to meeting him. I had a dream the other night that he was actually a she and it was a big surprise to us all! I, with my irrational pregnant brain, got up and actually started worrying about this..... sigh.... The things we worry about sometimes.... I am pretty positive that there are no surprises like that in our future, but it certainly had me worried the other night! Plus I am not so sure why  I would worry because Ron and I have always said we would be happy with either gender....again irrational pregnant worries. 

Have a great day everyone! 


Ingredients

1 1/2 lb lean ground beef
1 envelope taco seasoning
1 cup water
1 (16 oz) can mild chili beans, undrained
1 1/4 cup frozen corn
1 (15 oz) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14-1/2 oz) crushed tomatoes
1 (10 oz) can diced tomato with green chilies
1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies
1 envelope dry ranch salad dressing mix
Salt and Pepper, to taste


Instructions

In a medium pot, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain grease. Add taco seasoning and mix well. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes  stirring occasionally. Serve and top with desired taco toppings. 

Labels: , , ,