Big Sky Bran Muffins

As mentioned in my meal plan post, my family went to the Wisconsin Dells last week and each time we go I try to pack healthy snack for the kids to enjoy poolside, for lunch, or for breakfast. This time I made some banana bread, Ham Salad and this muffin recipe from Smitten Kitchen. Kellen loves muffins and I loved that this recipe was packed with bran, fresh fruit and low on sugar. The original recipe used strawberries, blueberries and blackberries, but I opted to use chopped raspberries and blueberries and it was delicious. The muffins were a big hit with my family and we all loved having them around for a quick snack or a light breakfast before heading out to play for the day!  I loved the flavor of this muffin and the lightly sweetened fruit in the middle was the more delicious part!  These were so easy to make and I can't wait to make them again. Next time, I am thinking of adding a little banana and they will certainly be on the docket once strawberry season arrives to my area! 

Last night, I met a few girlfriends for sushi and it was a blast as usual. I am trying to get some time to myself before little man arrives because, as I learned with Kellen, adjusting to a newborn and learning their schedule and preferences keeps a mom very busy! I am also trying to get  lots of time with Kellen because I know more juggling on my part will have to take place in the not so distant future! This weekend I am taking him to Disney on Ice and I think we will really enjoy it! Ron and I also have a few date nights on the calendar before baby boy gets here to we get a little time just together as well. Tonight, we have swim class and then coming home for a bath and a little relaxation. The week certainly flies by when you are off work on a Monday! 


Ingredients

1 1/3 cups buttermilk 
1 large egg
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup lightly packed dark brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups  wheat bran (I use Bob's Red Mill)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp granulated sugar, divided
3/4 to 1 cup berries (I used blueberries and halved red raspberries)


Instructions

Heat oven to 425 degrees and coat a 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick spray.

Whisk  egg, oil, brown sugar in a medium medium bowl. Next, slowly whisk in the buttermilk and vanilla. Whisk bran, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Stir wet mixture into dry until just combined and still a bit rough.

Spoon two 2 tablespoons of batter into each prepared muffin cup. Add about 2 teaspoons fruit to each (dividing it evenly) and sprinkling the fruit with one of the teaspoons of granulated sugar. Spoon remaining batter (about 1 tablespoon each) over fruit and sprinkle tops of muffins with remaining teaspoon of sugar.

Bake muffins for a total of 16 to 18 minutes, rotating pan once midway through baking time for even browning, until a toothpick inserted into the center of muffins comes out with just a few crumbs attached. Do not over-bake. Let muffins cool in pan  for 10 minutes before removing from tin.

Makes 12 regular sized muffins. 

Labels: , , ,