Taco Rice Bake

No baby boy yet in case you were wondering!  I am convinced that he wants to show up his brother..... Today is my last day at work till after my maternity leave and that is bittersweet! I love my job, but it has gotten a bit difficult for me over the past few weeks with the sitting/standing. I am certainly feeling ready for this little man to come! I have a BPP scheduled as part of my 41 weeks appointment next week, but we will see if we make it till then!

These days easy meals are my best friend and this recipe from Plain Chicken caught my eye because I knew Ron and Kellen would both love it. Taco night is a big hit at our house and it is nice to switch things up a bit with one of our favorite flavors. This recipe called for ranch style beans and I had never heard of the before and was worried that I would not find them. However, they were right by the baked beans in a can with a black label at my grocery store. This recipe comes together nice and fast is delicious! We added out favorite taco topping to our plates and it was perfect for our taco loving family. 

This week my cousin and her daughter were in town and Kellen has been enjoying spending extra time at Grandma's to play with his cousins. The rest of the week is still up in the air.... I feel like I keep saying that, but it really depends when our little guy makes his appearance. This weekend we are set to have a late Easter celebration with Ron's family because his sister was out of town on Sunday- it is fun to get a chance to do it twice! I know Kellen will be excited to play with him cousins. 

Have you been watching Walking Dead?!  I will not spoil it, but don't believe them after the Glen trickery..... this last cliffhanger will need proof! Ron and I have also been enjoying Survivor. I have always loved the show and Ron had been getting into the last two seasons. Strangely enough, I haven't picked a favorite yet, but I and thinking that once they merge people tend to stand out a little more. 

Have a great week everyone!


Ingredients

1 1/2 cups uncooked white or brown rice 
1 -1 1/4 lb lean ground beef or turkey
1 medium onion, diced
1 can ranch style beans
1 can Ro-tel tomatoes
1 can Cream of Chicken soup
1 package taco seasoning
1/2 cup water
2 cups grated sharp cheddar, divided
Salt and pepper, to taste
Tomatoes, olives, sour cream and chopped cilantro, for garnish


Instructions

Follow cooking instructions for rice on package. While rice is cooking, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.

Brown beef and onions in a large skillet and drain grease when meat is cooked. Add beans, tomatoes, soup, taco seasoning and water. Stir and simmer for 2-3 minutes.

Add cooked rice and 1 cup cheddar cheese to the beef mixture. Pour beef and rice into the baking dish. Top with remaining cheddar cheese. 

Bake 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven, plate and top with desired taco toppings. 

Labels: , , , , , ,