Meatball Sub Casserole

I saw this recipe floating around Facebook from one of those recipe pages that does the cooking demo shorts. I love meatball subs and thought it sounded tasty for a quick weeknight meal. After getting a good review from my friend Kayla, I put it on our meal plan. 

This recipe is so easy. 5 ingredients and ready to eat in just over 30 minutes. I used a store bought meatball and sauce for a post baby meal, but you could easily use a homemade meatball and marinara sauce. I loved this casserole and so did Kellen. Ron loved it when I first served it, but wasn't crazy about the bread being soggy for leftovers. I really did not mind because I think of the sauce soaked bread being one of the delicious parts of a meatball sub, but to each their own. I served this with a big green salad and a side of steamed green beans to make sure that we packed our dinner with veggies after having this cheesy casserole. Since originally making the casserole I have gone back to it a few times because, like I said earlier, it is wonderfully quick for a weeknight meal and kid friendly. 

We are all still adjusting at our house and Rowan is doing really well. I am feeling pretty rested after a good night of sleep last night. Rowan did 4 hour blocks and it just happened to work well with when Kellen got up got the day....those days are few and far between, but when they happen it feels great! I am also taking my encapsulated placenta pills and those work wonders for my energy as well. Kellen is also doing great and has been adjusting to his new brother well. One of Kellen's favorite things is discussing all things related to pumping. I breastfeed and pump milk for the baby and Kellen has decided that he wants in on the action and needs to pump. It is actually very cute because he has his own "pumping" bag to carry this supplies in. I had an old tube and things from Kellen and he has claimed them as his. Our insurance covers a new pump with each pregnancy and I ordered a new one to bring to work. It arrived last night and Kellen was thrilled that I ordered him a breast pump of his very own. However, once he realized it was for me the waterworks started. He screamed and cried and demanded that I share with him. I loved how sweet and funny this moment was. I think it is so sweet that he wants to be part of things. I am also equally amused by a 3 year old boy wanting so badly to use a breast pump.... I also can't wait to show the video I took of it to his girlfriend once he is in high school....


Ingredients

1 can (8) refrigerator biscuits (example: Pillsbury Grands)
1 (22 oz bag) frozen Italian meatballs
24 oz marinara sauce (1 regular sized jar of store-bought)
1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Chopped parsley, for garnish


Instructions

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside. 

Cut biscuits into 8 pieces and spread evenly into the baking dish. Pour marinara sauce over the biscuits and stir to evenly coat. Evenly layer meatballs over the biscuits and sauce. Sprinkle with cheese. 

Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly and biscuits are cooked. Remove from oven, garnish with chopped parsley, and serve. 

Labels: , , ,