Slowcooker Chicken Parmesan Sandwiches

Happy Friday  folks! 

I am always so happy when the weekend rolls around because it means time with my boys, family and friends (and now football too!). 

This weekend is filled with fun Fall/Halloween actives. Our house loves Halloween and we have been getting into the spirt since mid-September- haha!  Kellen loves reading his various Halloween books and has been really into all things “spooky”.  This weekend I am doing a barre class in the morning and then we are headed to a Trick or Treat Trail in our neighborhood.  We did this with Kellen 2 years ago and it was so fun. The trail is in a local part and in the woods. You have to register in advance so the take-homes of the kids are always pretty nice and it is not overly crowded.  Later in the day my cousins are coming to town and we are heading to our local zoo of the ZooBoo event and haunted hay ride with bowls of chili to follow.  Both of these events equal costumes for Kellen and he is sooooo excited to be Spiderman this year! This is his first year that mom did not pick out his costume, and he is thrilled (to be fair I have picked him nice costumes!). 

On Sunday I am doing a Pure Barre class with my cousin before heading to a little tailgate with my co-workers before the game with the boys. We are watching the game with my parents and having a taco bar!  Fingers crossed for a Packer win! 

On to the food,  the recipe I am sharing with you is a great weeknight meal. Ron loves chicken parmesan and I decided that I wanted to make a slow cooker sandwich version for us to enjoy on the weeknights.  This recipe is so easy and the chicken is very flavorful from the marinara and spices. I opted to sandwich ours between sub roll made into garlic bread.  Kellen, Ron and I loved these sandwiches and they made wonderful leftovers for lunch the following day.  I use a jarred pasta sauce for this recipe, but you can use homemade or a different type of tomato sauce than marinara. 

I hope everyone has an amazing weekend! 



Ingredients

2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 (24 oz) jar marinara sauce
2/3 cup chicken broth
1 tsp dried basil1
 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp salt
¼ cup melted butter
½ tsp dried parsley
½ tsp garlic powder
6 bolillo rolls (or other medium sized sub roll)
12 slices mozzarella cheese


Instructions

Place chicken into the crockpot. In a medium bowl, mix together marinara, broth, basil, garlic and ½ tsp salt.  Pour over chicken and stir to coat. Cook on low 5-6 hours.  Remove chicken from crockpot, shred, and return to crockpot; stirring the chicken to coat in the sauce. 

Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix together melted butter, garlic, and parsley.  Slice rolls in half and place on foil-lined cookie sheets. Brush each roll half with butter mixture.  Toast in over for 3-4 minutes to lightly toast.  Remove from oven and portion chicken on one half of each sandwich. Top with 2 slices of cheese and the other half of the sliced roll.  Cut in half and serve. 

Labels: , , , , ,