Beef, Chorizo, and Bean Taco Chili

One of my favorite things about cold weather seasons are warm soups and stews. In our house, we are big chili lovers. My favorite recipe for a traditional chili is my Titletown Tailgate Chili. The chili has won multiple awards and is always a crowd pleaser.  For many years, there was not a writen recipe for the chili and I finally measured and wrote it out when I entered my chili cook-off at work. The chili won and I was naturally very excited. However, this year I wanted to enter again, but needed to create a new recipe. 

My family loves tacos and I decided to create a taco inspired chili for the cook-off. I opted to use a mixture of two different meats- ground beef and chorizo. I also flavored with taco seasoning, chili, and (my favorite chili spice) cumin. I used a few different types of beans over just using chili beans. I also used not only jalapenos in my chili, but a mild diced green chilie. 

I was excited to see what my co-workers thought since the flavors were a little different than a traditional chili. Apparently, they loved it because I won the cook-off for a third year in a row. My co-workers are now discussing "term limits" for me. It is not my fault it is delicious- maybe next time they will come out on top! This chili is a hard one to beat- the taco flavor is subtle, but give just enough of a different flavor to stand out. I like to garnish mine with sour cream and a few corn chips, but cheese, jalapenos, black olives or even guac would be yummy. 

Tonight we are attending Ron's work holiday party. I am looking forward to having some adult time, and getting to sleep past 5:30 in the morning! Kellen is an early morning person and, while I can appreciate another fellow morning person, 5:30 AM is a little too early for this lady....maybe 6:30 would be perfect. I am also planning a barre class, coffee, and Target tomorrow without needing to worry about rushing home. It is the little things.  

Have a great Saturday everyone! 



Ingredients

3 lb lean ground beef
1 lb ground chorizo
1 medium onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
2 taco packets
1 ranch packet
1 1/2 Tbl chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1 can Bush’s chili black beans
1 can Bush’s chili beans (whatever heat you like)
1 can Bush’s chili kidney beans
1 4 oz can chopped jalapeños
1 4 oz diced green chilies
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1 28 oz can petite diced tomatoes
1 28 oz tomato sauce

Instructions

In a large pot, brown beef and chorizo till no longer pink. Drain excess grease.  Add onion and pepper and cook about 5 minutes.  Add taco packets, ranch packet, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and stir.  Add the beans, jalapenos, chilies, and stir.  Stir in the tomatoes and tomato sauce. Simmer on low (stirring every so often) 2-3 hours. Serve with sour cream and corn chips (or any other favorite toppings).

Labels: , , , , ,