Skillet Sweet and Sour Meatballs with Pineapple

I think Ron and I have our house back in a manageable order after Christmas.....it was like a toy explosion in here! We still have the tree up so we can enjoy it a few more days before we take it down this weekend. I always get sad when the Holidays are over and miss all the together time. However, this year we are celebrating with my Mom's side in January and it extends the fun a few more days! Many of us have little kids and it makes getting together really fun. 

This recipe for Tangy Sweet and Sour Meatballs is something I made for my friend Emily after she had her baby girl. It is easy, travels well and is great as an appetizer or as a full meal with a side of rice. I did not make my own meatballs for this recipe, but you easily could and it would be delicious. However, if you are stocked with little kids and short on time like me- the frozen variety is just fine.  The meatballs were so yummy and they have the perfect balance of sweet to sour. Sometimes sweet and sour can be way too sweet, but this was a great balance.  

Tonight I am heading to barre class and am hoping to get to the store to finally get some grocery shopping done! I am also working on my annual reader and personal favorite recipe lists. My posting was not as regular this year, but there certainly are a bunch of favorites I am getting nudged to make again. I will post tomorrow and Friday- stay tuned!



Ingredients

1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks
1/3 cup water
3 tablespoons vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 batch of 30 meatballs (frozen or thawed)
1 large green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
Hot cooked rice


Instructions

Open pineapple, drain, and  juice. Set pineapple aside. Add water to juice if needed so it equals 1 cup; and pour into a large skillet. Add 1/3 cup water, vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar and cornstarch; whisk until smooth.

Cook over medium heat until thick, stirring constantly. Add the pineapple, meatballs and green pepper.

Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until heated through. Serve with rice. 

Labels: , ,