One-Pot Cheesy Taco Barley Skillet #CIC

I have no participated in the Crazy Ingredient Challenge in what feels like forever! I missed it!

Theme of barley and salsa has my gears turning and I was excited to put together a dish to share.  Each month blogger participants vote to select two ingredients. Sometimes the selections are pretty tame and sometimes things get a bit crazy. Click the link to view past challenges!

This recipe is one of my favorites for a weeknight: one-pot. We love tacos in our house and I opted to make one of our favorites into a tasty one-pot using barley over a pasta or rice. I also used lean ground beef and black beans to create a perfect weeknight meal. Ron, Kellen, and I all loved this meal and it was so tasty for lunch leftovers the following day. We opted to top ours with a little sour cream (not pictured), sliced olives, and chopped tomatoes. 

Last night I co-hosted a fundraiser for my friend Amanda and it was so much fun. She raised some money and we all got to meet new people! Tonight we are home relaxing and unwinding from the week and gearing up for a Packer win on Sunday!

Happy Friday folks- check out the blog hop below for more salsa and barley creations!


Ingredients

1 1/4 lb lean ground beef
1/2 medium onion, diced
1 packet Taco seasoning
1 can black beans, rinseed 
1 small can diced green chilies
1 1/2 cups medium salsa (I used a thicker store bought variety) 
2 1/2 cups beef broth 
3/4 cup uncooked medium barley 
Salt, to taste
1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Black olives
Chopped tomatoes


Instructions

Brown beef and onion until the beef is no longer pink. Add the taco seasoning and stir to coat. Add beans, chilies, salsa, broth, and barley. Simmer 30-40 min or until barley is tender; stirring every so often to prevent burning. Keep a little extra broth or water on hand in case you need to add extra. Season with salt if desired.

Top with cheese and allow it to melt. Top with desired taco toppings (example: sour cream, olives, and tomatoes).




cheesecurdinparadise's Recipes, Reviews, Photos on United States Restaurant Guide

An InLinkz Link-up

Labels: , , , , , ,